Carbon Monoxide (CO) as we’ve mentioned before is an odourless, invisible, tasteless gas which is generated as a by-product from the combustion of fuel and air. If, for any number of reasons your gas or oil burning heating device (even units like a gas stove or fireplace) develops a problem at the burner where the “fire” occurs, dangerous amounts of CO can be released.
Combine that information with the fact that the majority of carbon monoxide related deaths happen while people are asleep in their homes, and the consideration for installing CO detectors gains some urgency. The most consistent recommendation is to install a CO detector just outside of each bedroom in the home. They are not recommended for installation in areas with high humidity (like bathrooms) or to be placed near stoves or stand alone heaters, to avoid false alarms.
OK, you’ve now got the CO detectors installed in your home, and suddenly one or all of them sound the alarm. What to do now?
GET OUT – Get everyone out of the home and assist anyone who may have difficulty.
Once you’re certain that everybody is out and safe, call the fire department and the utility company that supplies the fuel.
Get in touch with your professional HVAC service provider and get it fixed immediately; it could save your life!